Saturday 25 January 2014

São Paulo

Some time ago, I wrote about my holidays in Brazil. And today, I would like to tell you something about one of my favorite Brazilian city – São Paulo.
With a population of almost 20 million people ( can you imagine?! ),  São Paulo is the largest city in Brazil and the sixth the biggest city in the world. As soon as I left an airport, I had already knew that it would be one of my greatest experience ever!


São Paulo is the city of contrasts. There are some beautiful old buildings, churches, shopping centers and the old Mercado (fresh produce market, where you can taste the fruits from all over the world!):




What's more, São Paulo is a multicultural city. Because of the incredible ethnic diversity in the city, you can enjoy almost every kind of cuisine. For example you can eat a delicious Italian bread, a sushi like from China or an Arab food. 
But what struck me the most, was a stark differences between favelas, a slums area, and a rich district with skyscrapers and other modern buildings. Only one street separates these two districts! It was so weird to see expensive houses and on the other side, irregular and self-constructed sheds. It’s very sad that in one place, there are people who are very wealthy and have huge houses and also poor people who live in very bad conditions.



The other thing which seemed to me very interesting was a combination of urban buildings and green spaces. Although São Paulo is a huge city, there’s a lot of parks with exotic vegetation like the baobabs or the palm trees.







In general, São Paulo is a beautiful city that I’ll never forget. I wish I spent more time there…but as I’ve already said, I’ll come back to Brazil soon! :)

5 comments:

  1. I think that one day I should go to Brazil :) There are many offers of cheap flights (if we can say that it's cheap...) to Sao Paulo :P is it expensive to travel there (I mean through Brazil)? what about food prizes? accommodation?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, I strongly recommend Brazil to all of my friends, it's an amazing country, really! When it comes to prices it depends..in general food, fruits and drinks are quite cheap ( brazil currency, "real" it's like 1,3 zloty ) but for example clothes are more expensive than in Poland. Luckily, I have a lot of friends almost in every bigger city in Brazil, so I didnt have to rent a hotel :) but as far as I'm aware, hotels in Rio or Sao Paulo are very expensive! However, Brazilians are very hospitable so you can try there to benefit from Couchsurfing! :)

      Delete
  2. I haven't been to Brazil yet, but I wish to go there someday. You've took beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's really surprising ! In the picture is visible such a sharp division between the poor and the rich. I'm not used to the view like this. I hope that I won't see it in our contry. As concerns the city of São Paulo I'm truly jealous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your pictures look amazing! very colourful and sunny! so many kinds of food,especially fruits! you were lucky to visit Brazil!

    ReplyDelete