Tuesday 21 January 2014

Post-Erasmus Depression Syndrome

As I’ve already mentioned, I spent 5 months in France where I was on Erasmus student exchange. It was such a great time! But what to do when your Erasmus experience comes to an end? Have you ever heard about the post-Erasmus syndrome after studying abroad? I thought that this syndrome was a joke. Then, I came back to Poland and I learnt the hard way how true it is! As a former Erasmus student I can assure you that it concerns almost all the people who came back from abroad…
Some students believe that the world stops after coming back from their Erasmus, they just can’t handle this situation. And it was the same in my case. I returned back to my parental home and I just couldn’t stand my “old” boring daily life.
These few months abroad was filled with so many emotions, new friendships and to be honest with you, a feeling of being a little bit “special” was amazing. At home, my life seemed to be very simple and empty without my foreign friends. I felt that nobody understands me. I felt like a stranger in my own home! Trust me, everything became boring and pointless and it took me a lot of time to adjust again…Even after a year (omg I feel like it was yesterday when I came back to Poland!) I still have the flashbacks about things I used to do there…A lot of my friends are not from Europe so it’s not so easy to meet with them. However, we live in 21st century, so thanks to Skype and Facebook I can be in touch with them all the time! :)

I enclose you a short video made by one of the Erasmus student who talks about life after Erasmus! It’s so funny…and, to be honest, so true! Enjoy!


3 comments:

  1. Oh... I understand you.. I suffered from post-erasmus depression last year when I came back to Poznań after staying one semester in Córdoba. I think that the time I spent there, for now on, was the best time in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The video is gone, please let me know if you fond it back!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. check this out :D: http://interstude.com/how-to-pass-over-your-post-erasmus-depression/

    ReplyDelete